Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Sergio's March Newsletter

Greetings from the sunshine state! It is nice to have a break from the heavy rainfall we have had lately.
After school program is good as far as tutoring goes, but a bit stressful with the children’s’ attitudes towards some of the programs the center has instituted for them. Most of the children in my class don’t like doing neither karate class nor computer class. So, it makes it kind of hard to get all of them to do anything because I spend a good amount of time getting them ready. This year I’ve noticed that they all tend to follow one of the boys in the class. His name is Omar. He has good leadership potential, but unfortunately his attitude intervines and influences his lack to participate. Please pray that Omar would be a good leader and would encourage his fellow classmates to participate more.

My F.A.T. (faithful, available, teachable) boy’s bible study is going well. Last Wednesday I shared with the boys that I would be moving to Washington State in June. It was kind of hard on them. Immediately after I told them there was an awkward silence that lasted about two minutes. Rodrigo was the first one to speak up by saying that he was going to tear down all the freeways so I wouldn’t leave. After he said that, the other boys starting speaking up. Mainly asking me questions of why I was leaving. I shared with them that I felt God was shepherding me back home. It was good. They prayed for me and asked God to guide me, and give me wisdom to make the right decision. Since then I’ve asked them individually in our hanging out, one-on-one times, if they are really okay with me moving? They all have said yes and understand why I’m making the move. As I was preparing to share with the boys my biggest concern was to not make them feel as if I was abandoning them. But it brings me joy to know that they do not feel like that.
Over the next two weeks we are going as a bible study to serve in a ministry to the homeless downtown LA in the skid row area. Please pray for them as we do this. I’ll send highlights and pictures of our servitude. After we are going to visit a missionary couple in their late sixties who spent their missionary time serving in Asia. Both are part of my circle of close friends, mentors whom I love dearly. They are going to share about missions in Asia and teach us bible study.

Finances. As you guys already know I stepped down from my position as retreat house manager so that I could get a second job and bring in a few extra bucks. I would like to pay off my credit card bill ($700) and save before I move to Washington. This coming Wednesday I have an interview for a part time job. I’m praying I’ll be able to work because it will relieve some of the financial stress. Since I stopped being retreat house manager I have to start paying the ministry $200 for rent which is a bit of a burden right now since I don’t have much income coming in. It is a lot when you are living on a missionary salary. I’m certain that God will be faithful in providing.
Spring break road trip with bible study guys is still happening. The cost total is $720, $120 for food, $250 for gas, and $350 for car rental. Someone has agreed to pay for food. So we have yet to raise $600 for gas and a car rental. And still hoping God will provide a car through someone in our community. This would reduce the cost by a lot. This month the boys and I are going to be having some car washes to pay for the cost of the trip. Part of the reason for this trip is so they can see the community I’m moving into, and see what I am going to be doing. I want them to meet my family, especially my mom, and my circle of friends and ministry partners in WA. My desire is for them to commission me into my next phase of ministry and season in life.


Prayer Requests… Please continue to pray for me in the following manner:
• My walk in the Lord. I love Him dearly and I want to continue serving and growing in Him
• My relocating to the Tri-Cities WA this coming June.
• For me in my last semester at Pasadena City College.
• For peace, guidance and discernment.
• As I teach my boys to “live as servants of God, show proper respect to everyone, love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, and honor the King” 1 Peter 2:16-17

I pray Gods best for all of you.

If you would like give financially please send checks to:
Harambee Christian Center
c/o 1581 Navarro Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91103

And please write Sergio’s Support on the memo. Or you can donate online by going to my website (www.castaneda.blogspot.com) and clicking on the Pay Pal button located on the side bar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home